Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2013

That We Might "Not Shrink"

 “As we confront our own … trials and tribulations, we too can plead with the Father, just as Jesus did, that we ‘might not … shrink’—meaning to retreat or to recoil (D&C 19:18). Not shrinking is much more important than surviving! Moreover, partaking of a bitter cup without becoming bitter is likewise part of the emulation of Jesus" -Elder Maxwell
 
Many people in the world are going through tough trials right now, including many of my dear friends. So I wanted to focus this blog on the purpose of trials and how they help us to become molded and shaped into the person God wants us to be.
Probably one of the greatest lessons I have learned on my mission comes from the example of the Savior Jesus Christ and learning not to "shrink" when trials come, and submit my will to the will of the Father.
Sadly the World is growing more wicked, and our mortal bodies are subject to sickness and death. When we think about how we came to Earth to be tested and tried, maybe we didn't realize it would be so difficult!

Brothers and Sisters, I testify that we can do hard things.We are children of God. That is why we were sent here. When you find yourselves struggling to keep the faith through your hardships, I exhort all of you to Remember Him.

I read this scripture the other day and it became so much more profound to me. It made me realize my purpose and responsibility to follow the Savior in how I should handle my trials. Also, it teaches that He has given us the power to overcome hard things.

 "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, aremove this cup from me: nevertheless not my bwill, but thine, be done." Luke 22:42

This powerful scripture perfectly applies to how we, also being Children of God, should do the will of the Father even when it is hard. Jesus Christ gave us the perfect example of that. One of my companions once told me, "The Savior suffered the will of the Father from the beginning. If we are here to become like Jesus Christ, we must also do His will." That has stuck with me ever since! It gives me hope when I am suffering, if I am staying faithful, I am becoming more like my Savior. It gives me the courage to say, "Father, not my will, but Thine be done."


When I was a brand-new missionary I remember sitting in my classroom in the Missionary Training Center. I had to learn Spanish in a very short amount of time, so we had classes for four hours, twice a day. This doesn't include the other classes and meetings we also had planned in our busy schedules. One day I was sitting in my classroom waiting for the second block of the four-hour class to start. I was feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and exhausted. My eyes barely were open. I thought to myself, "Can I really do this for another 4 hours?" I was feeling a little hopeless and depressed.
 I learned a very important lesson that day from a wise teacher. The Spirit came so strongly as he testified how enduring our trials is part of representing the Savior.
I remember when he was impressed to say, "When you are tired, remember He was tired; and you can better represent Him."

Immediately I felt this surge of energy come into my body. I knew that The Savior Himself was standing by me, and with His strength I could do hard things, even serve a mission. After all, He was the Greatest Missionary to ever walk the Earth.

So Brothers and Sisters, I encourage you to remember when you are suffering, remember that He suffered, and you can better represent Him.
When you are tempted, remember He overcame temptation, and you can better represent Him.

All of these things that we go through in our lives that may seem hard, remember they are there to help us become like the Savior. All we have to do is choose to have faith in Him and follow the perfect example He gave.

"Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I will cboast of my God, for in his dstrength I can do all ethings.." Alma 26:12


“In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” -John 16:33

It is so easy to forget the purpose of affliction when we can only see the problem that is right in front of us. As we take a step back and look at the Eternal Perspective, or see the big picture, our problems become only a small part of our lives.

Before we came to the Earth, we knew that it would be hard. We were told by our Heavenly Father that we would be tested and tried. But we rejoiced for the opportunity to come into mortality so that we could earn all the blessings of our Heavenly Father. He promised us them, if we proved faithful and obedient to His commandments. Notice the terms faithfulness and obedience--it would be impossible to live by those conditions if we didn't have opposing trials to test them.

So, here we are. We are in reality living our mortal mission. Has it been easy?
No!
But something I love about the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that He does not ask us to do anything that He hasn't done before. He suffered and even died so that we can overcome our trials with Him by our side, guiding us step by step.

I love to compare trials to the "refiner's fire". When you think of a diamond, it first started as a piece of coal. It was then thrown in to the fire, experienced lots of heat and lots of pressure, and then became a beautiful precious stone. We are here to become diamonds!

I am so grateful for the Lord allowing me to go through the refiner's fire of life. I am grateful for my trials and the things I have been taught and the knowledge that I have gained from each of them. I know we have trials because our Heavenly Father loves us. He is molding us into the children that He wants us to be. It is all worth it. We can do hard things. We can do the will of the Father.  It is all possible because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. All will be made right if we are faithful to His will.

To read an inspiring story about "Not my will but Thine be done" click here.
“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God … and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire”


No comments:

Post a Comment